Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chemistry challenges

On Tuesday of this week I had chemistry class.  We were learning from chapter two of our text book, which was mostly about naming compounds.  The lecture was being presented very fast, so I had a difficult time understanding the compound naming process.  After the lecture we were told that there would be a quiz on Thursday concerning the naming on compounds.  I knew immediately that I had a lot of studying to do before that quiz.  
My studying for chemistry began on Wednesday afternoon.  First I read the chapter and made some mental notes.  Then at five-o'clock, my roommate and I went to a study group for chemistry in the library.  During our time there I was able to write down some good notes on the methods and the way to name compounds was starting to make sense.  We closed our study group at six-fifteen and went to dinner.  Later that evening I once again took out my chemistry and continued studying until it was time to go to bed.  By the end of the day I felt a lot better about the quiz coming up.
Thursday was quiz day, and I was still feeling unsure about my compound naming skills.  I did more studying and made some charts to help me learn.  At twelve-o'clock I had my chemistry quiz.  As soon as I saw it, my fear was confirmed.  I didn't now how to derive the correct answers.  The quiz was very difficult.  I placed educated guesses on the questions I didn't know, hoping that I would maybe get a few of them right, but my gut feeling was that I had failed the quiz.


No comments: